Thursday, July 16, 2009

Breaking Point

When is my breaking point. I think I am reaching it quite quickly. Braxton just refuses to take good naps the last 2 days. No naps for him=cranky baby. I have tried all i know. Swaddling, unswaddling, rocking to settle, crying himself, name it, i have done it. He wont settle down. i put him down at 4 and is still crying at 4:40. He sleeps good during the night which is good but come on, the day is a killer. It gets to the point that i wonder what the heck was i thinking starting a family when i was so darn young. Don't get me wrong, i love my children and would never trade them for the world. But if you are a mother you know those moments come when you think, "what would it be like without these kids." I hope i can fix it soon because i am reaching my breaking point. And for those of you who know me, unfortunatly it does not take me long to get there. Any advice i would be happy to hear it! Thanks for listening to me vent.


PS: by the end of writing this he has settled down. maybe i have done something right!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tessa. I totally understand how you feel. Being a parent is lots of work, and no fun at times. I think that's why babies are so cute. :-)

It sounds to me like Braxton is overtired. I know it doesn't seem logical. He should sleep if he's tired right? It was totally true with Jimmy though.

The rule for overtiredness is to not keep your baby up for over two hours at a time. So if he's up at 7:00am then put him down for his nap before 9:00. Also you probably need to put him to bed a half an hour earlier to help him make up the sleep he's been missing.

When you put him down for a nap don't go in there for an hour. At first he might cry a lot, but eventually he'll learn how to put himself to sleep which is much better! It's hard to listen to your baby cry so I would listen to church music to help me stay calm.

If he wakes up after only 30-45 minutes leave him in there for 15 minutes or so and see if he goes back to sleep. He might suprise you. Hang in there, and call me if you ever need to vent!

Andrea M said...

Oh Tessa...I have so been there. It is so frustrating. Sometimes there is no magical cure. The thing that helps this time around is that you are not a first time, new momma. You know the tricks of the trade...that being said....every baby is different. I would venture to guess that he is about old enough to teethe. I am not a huge proponant of drugging kids to make them tired...BUT sometimes a bit of baby motrin will do the trick. Does he still take a morning nap and an afternoon snooze? Does he generally take both of them and they are good? Is he now trying to give up one of his daily naps? Crying is good for him..up to a point. Call me during those times when you feel like crying and I will talk you through it. I love ya and want you to know that "this too shall pass" although at this present moment, it seems like forever. Hang in there. We are all in this together. Tootles....Andrea

Brittany said...

Blah...I have those moments all the time!! Kids are a pain. I love them, but they are a pain. I don't know what to tell ya. I just go outside for a little while when I am losin it. Then when James gets home, I leave and go out for a while. Have Cory take over for a couple hours in the evening and GO SOMEWHERE without your kiddos!! Even if it is just to walk around the mall, or even just the neighborhood. Just get out, it is very refreshing and can make you a better Momma! Love ya, good luck!

ramirezinthesun said...

I really dont know what to say but I am so sorry you are feeling like this. I really dont have good advice cause I am still trying to get my 19 month old to sleep thru the night. But these three women left great advice for you try them out and let me know how it goes.

I will keep you and your little ones in my prayers. Good Luck!!

Lesley Wright said...

Hey Girl! This is kinda what Carter was doing when I stopped swaddling him. I was suggested by a friend to read "Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child" by Marc Weissbluth. I have not finished it but so far it has helped wonders. Check it out and let me know. Ebay sells it for cheap or see if the library has it.